Senior Specialist – Rare Books
The Senior Specialist is responsible for bringing in significant business (consigning and selling) at a minimum level of 350K per year, requiring in-depth knowledge of client relationship management and the antiquarian book market.
Specific duties & responsibilities will include but are not limited to
- Develop business contacts and strategic opportunities, including auction and private sales, with the Regional Director.
- Identify and maintain relationships with all client categories (collectors, dealers, corporations, institutions), including the ability to work with major clients in the sale of high value property.
- Function as liaison with overseas specialists, working on appraisals as a means of generating new long-term business opportunities and reconnecting with inactive clients.
- Review incoming photo inquiries to determine property sale potential and value (pricing sessions).
- Prepare condition reports of consigned property prior to the auction.
- Participate in Telephone Bidding with clients during the auction.
- Participate in pre-sale exhibition set-up.
- Work with buyers during sale week to market and pre-sell the sale.
- Participate in pre-selling upcoming auctions through touring, events and other targeted marketing efforts.
- View and visit competitors’ auctions and track overall results.
- Actively participate in events, art fairs and other functions to represent Hessink’s.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in European Art.
- Minimum of 8 years paid experience in related field
- Deep knowledge of the book trade, as well as a broad knowledge of manuscripts, prints, maps, and related materials.
- Knowledge of the auction business
- Demonstrated ability in appraising property and business getting.
- Knowledge of Email, spreadsheet, word processing and presentation software (Microsoft Office preferred).
- Ability to learn new internal systems and program quickly.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior written and spoken English.
- Customer service oriented with strong negotiation and influencing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
Please send applications to:
Tel: +31 (0)653910132